George Hotel ★☆☆
A cheap hotel five minutes from Stonehenge
In the heart of Amesbury village, just five minutes down the road from Stonehenge, The George has been an inn since the 15C, hosting the likes of Henry VIII, James I, Georege V, Charles Dickens, the Duke of Wellington, and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Guest rooms are variably sized and creaky—there aren't many plumb walls or level floors—but it's loaded with character like heavy beamed ceilings and/or four-poster canopy beds in the "bridal suites."
There's an atmospheric pub downstairs with decent and inexpensive pub grub, plus a billiards table and sports bar area.
Adding to the quirk factor: The hotel also houses the little Amesbury Aviation Museum.Book it
General info about Hotels in England
Also in Reid's List: Wiltshire lodging:
- Avebury Lodge★★☆| ££
- Rollestone Manor★★☆| £
- Chapter House★★☆| ££
- Cathedral View B & B★★☆| £
- The Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel★★☆| ££
- Robin Hill Cottage★☆☆| ££
- B&B Haven At Avebury★☆☆| £
- Holiday Inn Salisbury-Stonehenge★☆☆| ££
- Best Western Red Lion Hotel★☆☆| ££
- Mercure Salisbury White Hart Hotel★☆☆| ££